Monday, April 9, 2012

Sexual Identity-Mandies Take

Reading an article this morning about a young lady who is transitioning as a senior in high school made me cringe. Not because of the article, it was well written and with a very positive message but the term "transexual" gives on the illusion that transgendered folks are into some sort of fetish. This couldn't be farther from the truth.

From the free online dictionary:
transsexual
[transek′cho̅o̅·əl]
a person whose gender identity is the opposite of his or her biologic sex. 
 
**Please note the use of gender identity.** Zoe does not dress up in girls clothes to satisfy a sexual desire, this has never been part of our "bedroom life"

Many people will argue that gender and sexual identity go hand in hand, some will even say anyone who is attracted to the same gender is evil, wrong, sick in the head..yea we have all heard the haters. The haters in my opinion are the ones with the real "problem". They are not comfortable enough with themselves to acknowledge that other humans have a right to be happy. But I divert.
 
On the topic of sex, Zoe as a male was straight, as a female she is a lesbian. Am I a lesbian? No. I am in a relationship with a woman, a transgendered lady. I fell in love with Zoe as a person, not *M's* penis. Sorry to all the straight guys out there who really believe that your "love guns" are the best thing since sliced bread it simply is not true. Most women do not fall for you because your johnny is awesome or your love making skills beat every other sexual partner she has ever had. We fall in love with YOU. Your ideas, your heart, your whatever..but it certainly isn't your penis. I love Zoe, but no I am not a lesbian. I think I would need to actually be attracted to women as opposed to saying "yea shes a hot chick" to realistically pull off lesbian status. So I identify as "Gay by circumstance". Yes I am GAY, because I am HAPPY, I am by circumstance HAPPY. I do not really need to explain to everyone we see that Zoe is transgendered. 99% of people do not need, want or deserve an in depth scientific explanation  of what exactly Zoe is, or the mechanics of our relationship. I figure if they have questions, they can ask or google it.

~Mandie


No comments:

Post a Comment